Monday, December 27, 2010

Awkward Gloria

Does anyone else notice that awkward moment during Peter Jones' Gloria?  I'm talking about the "call" at the 1:16 mark and the "non-response" at the 1:19 mark in the video below.



I mean, this version fills the space nicely with trumpets and other instruments, but most churches usually rock this version with only the piano which doesn't fill the space. And the next "have mercy on us" part is nicely call-and-response just like you'd expect with the rest of the song. What's up with that? Is there a musical or spiritual reason for this? Can someone explain it to me? For this moderately musically trained Chinese boy, it doesn't make much sense except for keeping me on my toes.

Every time we do this Gloria, I always have to intentionally remember not to sing during this part and I always cringe whenver an unsuspecting bystander (or spaced-out Chinese person) accidentally sings, "Lord God, Lamb of God."

No comments:

Post a Comment