Sunday, September 9, 2012

Cleaning Up

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1184/920829604_b8abaca6cb.jpg

When I was in college, my roommate and I intentionally moved into a dorm known for hard partying in order to start a small group Bible Study there.

Hard partying in college usually means to the point of getting sick.  Living in a college dorm usually means the janitorial staff doesn't clean the bathrooms on weekends.  You get the picture.

Sometimes we couldn't even use the bathroom all weekend because the stench of stale vomit on the floors of the bathroom stalls or even the showers were so overwhelming that they threatened to cause another episode (I'm getting the urge to dry-heave just from the memories).

So while living in this dorm, one of the ways my roommate and I tried to actively live out our faith was, you guessed it, to clean up the bathroom whenever it was defiled.

The conversations we had and the looks we got ranged from disgust to sympathy to confusion to admiration.

The act itself sucked (whenever I would smell the stench from the bathroom walking up to my room, I would try and not make eye contact with my roommate when I walked in the door), but I learned a lot from the experience.

But one of the fruits I am currently enjoying from that experience is that cleaning up my daughter's poop, even scraping creamy corn carrot chunk poop off a cloth diaper, is a total cake-walk.

Who says following Jesus isn't practical?

No comments:

Post a Comment