Sunday, March 17, 2013

New Dad Confession 11



One interesting thing for me about being a Dad is that I'm becoming a bit more aware of my genetics. Genetic disease is an obvious way one can become aware of non-nurturable traits, but I'm talking something a little more subtle. 

The other day, my wife and I were laughing at the way my daughter was eating blueberries when my wife said in an accusatory manner, "Hm... I wonder where she gets that from?"  It made me momentarily pause as I realized that I eat them exactly the same way.  Well, I don't so much eat berries as I do inhale them.  As soon as one berry gets popped into my mouth, my hand is already reaching for the next one.  I'm also particularly adept at choosing the biggest, plumpest, and juiciest ones at that speed.  What can I say, it's a talent and it's to the point where my wife only puts out so many berries at a time in order to ration them.

It wasn't until I got married before I became self-aware of my berry eating technique (or habit).  My wife stared at me wide eyed in disbelief and said, "Uh...dude, save some for me."  I had no idea where I got it from and it makes me feel just a bit vindicated that my daughter is the exact same way.  I guess it was genetic all along.  Either that or I never grew out of my childhood ego-centrism.

No comments:

Post a Comment