Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Accidental Properties of Blood

I've always thought it interesting that the concept of bread and wine transubstantiating into the actual Body and Blood of Christ means that the accidents of the bread and wine still maintained all of their physical characteristics.

What that means is that if you drink enough of the Blood of Christ, you can get drunk!  That's way more exciting than, if you eat enough of the Body of Christ, you'll get....full.  Trust me, it's highly amusing to me when the wine is overestimated by the sacristan and the Chinese Eucharistic minister has to finish it all after communion and ends up with a healthy Asian glow.

This guy, but more holy.  And with a chalice.

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/assets_c/2010/02/201012031-thumb-200xauto-2327.jpg  (If you think this is bad, check out the wikipedia article on it)

By extension, I've always thought that it would be way more cool if through the miracle of the consecration you could drink as much of the Blood of Christ and not feel any of the physical affects of alcohol.  "Well, how do you explain that?" I would smugly tell my non-believing homies.

But alas, God's ways are not my ways and in this case, God's way is way more humble and meek, requiring faith of the believer.

This is why the third line from the Anima Christi prayer extra stood out to me today.

Soul of Christ, sanctify me,
Body of Christ, save me,
Blood of Christ, inebriate me,
Water from Christ's side, wash me,
Passion of Christ, strengthen me…

I'm glad that it's been embraced for at least 700 years (from when the prayer was first written).  Oh, to be intoxicated by Jesus.

Brought to you by what I like to call "Holy Moments on the Crapper"

No comments:

Post a Comment