Sunday, October 30, 2011

Decisions

With only a few days left of being 26, my dad and I had a nice chat on the way to Mass.  It probably wasn't my first time hearing it, but hearing again that my Dad was 26 when he immigrated to the United States felt a whole lot different this time. 

That part of my dad's life always felt like a novel or something from a history book - there was never any personal empathy towards it.  This time, it made me shake my head.  Being the same age, it's completely unfathomable to me that I could just pick up my life right now and then move to another country (at the same time, with the way this country's going, we all might be immigrating to China at some point).  My dad also shook his head acknowledging that it's sort of unfathomable to him that I could be married, a home-owner, and a father at my age. 

With my own three week old daughter, I can't help but wonder what God has in store for her life and what decisions she will make when she grows up.  The decisions that my Dad made directly affected my life giving me opportunities and the way that I was able to make my own decisions.  Of course, then, my decisions will affect my children's opportunities and decisions.  I'm praying and hoping (not the secular definition of a blind flailing in uncertainty, but trust in God's Word) that the spiritual and family-oriented decisions I've made will pan out.

No comments:

Post a Comment